Milk as a recovery drink?
Milk has always been touted as one of the nutritional drinks an athelete must have.
As much as it is a recommended food for swimmers, however, I do stop short of suggesting drinking it before or during workout, as it takes longer for the stomach to digest milk making you feel "laggy" during training. Athletes who are lactose intolerant should also be careful of milk intake.
The following 5 top reasons for drinking milk as an athlete are taken from http://www.usaswimming.org/
- Milk has not one but two protein sources, whey and casein.
- Milk is rich in the amino acid leucine.
- In addition to protein, milk contains a natural sugar, lactose.
- Milk is a great source of vitamins and minerals needed by young active swimmers.
- Fat-free milk has the same nutrients as whole, 2% fat milk and flavored milk.
To read the full article: